View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Dash pad that covers the entire dash?

My '68 C/10 Stepside is factory 516 Orange, and the trim contrast was grey/Fawn. The original dash pad was a dark grey. That became brittle, and I flaked off the plastic chips until I got down to the bare foam. I had some saddle vinyl I was having my seat upholstered with and I wrapped that around the pad, securing it with 77 spray glue on both sides. I did this in the early '80s, before specialty vendors made parts for this series of trucks, and dash pads became available. Still holding up. You can see where I tucked the material in at the ends, but IDGAF. It matches the seat.
On another truck I put in a dash pad from Brothers, and had to send the first one back -- the threading on the stud was not chased properly and it wouldn't take a nut. They got me a fresh one w/o defects, but the OEM pad is a lot better fitting. (Still a b!tch on the ends though.)
The top deck of the dash is sheet metal, and I sanded it down, masked off the area below and the glass on the windshield and shot it with a couple of coats of flat black spraypaint to kill reflected glare. [I live in Southern Arizona.] Over the years I've had to touch up with more flat black spraypaint, but no big deal.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote