View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
Ironangel

Re: 1970 auto shifter broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwn1975 View Post
Guys,
super frustrated here. A new to me truck I got running after years of sitting. I drove it at my shop today and putting it in gear, It was difficult to move the shift lever towards me to drop it in gear. After maiden voyage, I horsed the lever to put it in park and "pop" now she moves free (doing nothing) and Im pissed at myself. What did I break and how easy it is to fix? I know I should have lubed the linkage at the end of the shaft but was super excited to drive it.. Thanks
You may have broken or dislodged/disengaged the ball pivot on the end of the shifter handle. Drive the pin out of the handle to release it from the shift collar. The end should look like this, ...If the ball pivot is broken you have two choices, replace the shifter handle, or...You can save the expense and do what I did...I drilled and tapped the end of my shifter handle for a 1/4"- 20 grade-5 bolt, smear some JB-Weld or red Loctite on the bolt and thread it into the handle, cut it to the proper length (3/4" I think?) and file it in to shape with a ball on the end. Worked like a charm for me but I was able to use the shifter out of my other truck as a pattern. You should be able to use the broken piece as a pattern...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote