Thread: 47-55.1 Wiring harness question
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #12
TX3100Guy

Re: Wiring harness question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
how many mega fuses are you running?
if you think back to the old cars that connected all the power at the starter you might remember there were a couple of fusible links in the wires close to the starter. newer cars use the mega fuses, several of the really big plug in fuses with the tangs, plug in fuseable links, etc. if you look inside the relay/fuse center under the hood of a newer chevy you may see all of those being used. personally, I would run power from the mega fuse to the fuse panel and from there to the rest of the circuits. sorta like a house breaker panel. power comes into the house, through a main breaker (your mega fuse) then to the individual circuit breakers and THEN out to the load circuits. that way each circuit has a fuse. a mega fuse of appropriate amperage should be placed inline from the alternator to the battery as well. it protects the alternator from an excessive overload in the truck and it protects the battery and thruck circuits from an alternator problem
anyway, not sure how your wiring will be set up but, you will wanna make sure all your circuits are protected by a fuse rated for the load on that particular circuit.
what amp rating is your mega fuse?
The kit from American Autowire comes with two 175 amp fuses. The fuses are side by side, with a heavy gauge plate connected between two of the fuse ends on one side. The 6 gauge wire from the starter gets attached to the side of the fuse block that has been jumpered between. Another 6 gauge wire is installed onto the other side of the fuse block on one of the fuses and then directly to the alternator. Finally, a 10 gauge wire is fitted on the other of the two fuse terminals and that wires goes directly to the fuse panel in the truck.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 4.50.42 PM.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  41.7 KB

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote