Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #1935
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Back track a little?

Was there ever a consensus on rear sway bars for stock trailing arms? At first it was yes, then no?
Also Rob when you fit a front sway bar are you fitting for frame or Lca? I have a 65 with 73-87 control arms. I talked with Tina and she didn't think your kit would work but I could've confused her. Thanks sorry to back track!

So with birdcages and 4 bars on cars that turn left and right can you get some rear steer both ways? When we used to do dirt stuff we could get a bunch of rear steer but that was just left or is it just to un load the rear end. I kinda don't get the bird cage lol. Ok I should pay attention sorry!
As a base, I would say, yes, a rear sway bar will help on a stock arm truck. The rate should be low, under 150 lbs. Now, as these trucks get lower, the springs get tighter, the travel is less, and the roll center is effectively higher, (unless changed) and the rear bar is less effective. I know it's not a concrete answer, butthat's our experience.

Our OE base front bar should work, but you may need to mod the tabs (mounting points) on the Lower Control Arms to attach the links.

Yes, you can set a 4-bar, and/ot Birdcage 4-bar to steer both left/right, not as much as the circle guys pitch then, but it can be done. It is reasonable to achieve 1 or 2 degrees of 'roll steer' in the rear. even a small amount can change the truck from 'really loose' to 'really tight'. This stuff gets really complicated, and the oval guys have broken down the rear suspensions to have very specific components for each action of the suspension. Birdcage mounted 4-bars to only control axle position, and rear steer, a torque arm to control forward bite - with a shock and damper to control the tire set, 5th link and shock to control forward axle rotation, and floating brakes, and rod to adjust tire load under braking. ......... Go look under a fresh Modified or Late model dirt car and your brain will start to smoke.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote