View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #152
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Made more progress on the four valve project. The two valve MIC panel was bolted to the dash with the heater control bolts. When I unbolted it I found that the threads in the heater had been stripped and now were through bolted, not a problem but I also noticed that the top heater control lever was broke off. (I haven't driven the WMB in the cold yet) I was able to obtain a used lever from Dan's Classic. The interesting part is that someone had already replaced the top lever with a bottom lever by flipping in and using washers to get the lever to line up. I spent a hour lubing up the cables and the flapper which seemed to be causing most of the resistance. It appears that my floor/defroster flapper holes are ovaled and may be contributing to the resistance issue. I may have to pull the heater box at some point and address this. There was a small kink in the cable right at the clip on the heater box. I was was able to work most of the kink out but couldn't put the cable back in the clip without adding significantly to the resistance. The other thing I noticed was if I tightened the screw at the flapper end of the cable down tight the resistance went up. It works better when the end can swivel. For now I have left it loose, but I'm sure that eventually the screw will fall out. Maybe locktite will prevent that. The photos show the heater controls before the repair. It may help someone with a broken lever and a spare one that's not correct repair their lever. The part number on the lever is correct for the lower lever on a non A/C control.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote