View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
67pete300

Toe in mystery--disc brake upgrade

I'm installing a disc brake kit from Performance Online with 2.5" drop spindles up front.

On the first attempt I cut the old front springs (only 0.5" of free height-about 3/4 of a coil) and installed everything and decided it was too low. At the same time I installed new inner and outer tie rods with a new coupler that came with the kit. I set them to basically the same dimensions as the old ones.

So I ordered new 1" drop springs and just got them swapped in. After I set it back down the height is better but the passenger side toe it is waaaay out of whack. Toed out significantly. Driver's side seems fine. Steering is centered lock to lock. Basically takes all the adjustment in the passenger tie rods to get it back close (on the order of an inch.)

I can't for the life of me figure what would have changed. I definitely would have noticed this the first time and have a picture (can't get iCloud to work right now) that indicates it wasn't like this the first time. All I did was disconnect the spindle end of the tie rod and the upper ball joint stud to swap out the springs and then put them back together. All the upper control arm shims went back in exactly as they came out the first time and didn't change in between lowering spring attempts.

Any thoughts here? Seems like something is not right. And I have no adjustment in the passenger tie rod.

And if you want to offer any other hints, I'm currently trying to wrestle the lower end of the new lowering shock in between the LCA mount bracket and get the bolt through. Nothing lines up.
67pete300 is offline   Reply With Quote