View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #161
Matt Man

Re: 81 Chevy K10 ShortBed

Well guys its been a while since I have updated my build thread. I moved to Idaho back in August and have really been enjoying it here loving the cooler weather, less congestion and country lifestyle. Here is a pic hauling the U-haul trailer it weighs 2000 pounds empty and I had it full to the brim with heavy stuff and the bed was full of plants my guess was it weighed around 4500 pounds. The truck towed it fine and did great despite the 100 degree temperatures and 860 miles of driving I did in one day.

Unfortunately, I am having some issues with my truck since I have moved up here. When I was moving up here I got to Wells Nevada and while I was at my one of many fuel stops for the day I heard a faint knocking sound at idle but went away with any kind of rpm. I finally got to my new home in Idaho and did some investigating and the knocking sound only comes after driving it on the freeway and only while it is in gear. If I drive it around town there is no knocking sound. Now fast forward to the last few weeks and there is a big shudder when the converter locks up and now I can hear a grinding/vibration sound when driving around. The noise happens when it reaches a certain revolution like room room room if that makes any sense lol. I unplugged the electrical connection on the side of the trans and there is no shudder but there is still a grinding and vibration like I mentioned before. The trans was rebuilt earlier this year with a new lockup converter. The transmission shifts fine and the fluid looks nice bright red and clean no shavings etc. I know new parts can fail but I am at a loss here any ideas? Flexplate maybe?

Also, this might be unrelated but my starter has been turning over really slow sometimes and today when I was out it BARELY started the truck. So my question is could the flex plate be warped or cracked causing the starter to drag more and ultimately making all this noise. Other times it starts really quick like it normally does. Any advice would be appreciated.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote