View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #8
71ChevySS(straight6)

Re: 250 is constantly giving me fits... considering something different

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I had a 1976 250 a couple years ago giving me fits. It would start and run fine in neutral but could not take any load. I took the Monjet apart several times and tried to figure out the power jet system and finally had to admit defeat. I bought a NOS Holly Economaster for it and it has never run better. Maybe if you could find a Monojet expert he could set you up. Mine had HEI, if you have points then your problems are doubled.

I see 68GMSEE is a Monojet expert. Maybe you can PM him and have him rebuild one for you.
I was thinking carb issues as well, possibly, but I've rebuilt that thing four times. Turns out it was the points. Somehow the gap had closed - thinking it may be the road I live on, it's rougher than **** and has knocked the truck out of time before - so I regapped them and it runs like a top now. I went ahead and ordered a cheap eBay HEI distributor, so I'll swap that in when it gets here. hopefully no more issues after that's taken care of.

Rat rod build: 1949 Crosley Station Wagon body on 1993 Dodge D350 chassis, Cadillac 500 powerplant.
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote