View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
HSRACER

Re: She is back on the road

So the first order of business was to see if I could fire up the engine. After 9 plus years of sitting with crappy gas in it there was no way I would try to keep the tank.

Remember the reason it sat so long in the first place was the fuel pump shot craps so that was going to need replaced as well.

So, I ordered a battery, plugs, fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, new ignition switch (as the old one required that you hold your mouth just right to actually work) and some other miscellaneous stuff.

While waiting for those I found a set of 4 inch rear lowering springs for sale on Craigslist and bought those. Also, I had enough of the drooping head liner and in a fit of rage ripped the darn thing down. It also dropped microscopic bits to the backing piece each time you moved so your hair was constantly full of the stuff. Had to go!

So after blowing out all the fuel lines and installing the new parts along with fresh oil and filter it was time to see if the starter would even turn over.

Well it did and I decided to plug the coil back in after spinning it over to see if there was any oil pressure. Walked back to see if she would fire and BAM lit up, and purred like a kitten!

Original plan was to put in a radical LS engine if the stocker wouldn’t run. Guess I will have to wait awhile on that part of the project.

So I cut a coil out of the front springs and installed the drop leafs then took her out for a drive. I quickly noticed very poor brake action, so turned around and bled the brakes as well as installing new pads up front and new wheel cylinders and shoes in the rear.

Clutch chatters a bit when the engine is cold but it is original and only has 252K on it!!! That amazes me and it actually works well when all warmed up.

Here are a couple picture of her in the lowered state and roadworthy condition. I drive her each weekend.
Attached Images

Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS

Last edited by HSRACER; 03-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote