View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Re: What is the factory limited slip in HO 52's?

14-bolt axles can be used with about 3/4" taken off the ends. People do this to enable using 14-bolt differential parts, such as R&P that is not available new (I don't think) for HO52. Also, 14-bolts came in 3.73 and 3.42 ratios. I had a guy call me looking deperately for drums to get his '72 rollback inspected to meet the minimum fleet requirement of a contract he was going for. He needed that truck passed like yesterday. I pondered a minute and thought about the whole diff/axle swap, then people adapting 14-bolt disc brake kits to HO rears and told him to try backing plates out off a 14-bolt. The next day he called to thank me for the suggestion. He got that contract. That's common knowledge now, but I had never seen it done here or anywhere back then. The 14-bolt was the next corporate rear. Not as much changed from the HOs on the inside, mostly size and shape outside

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote