View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 03:22 AM   #19
ChevyRacefan

Re: Exhaust decision, opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJimmy View Post
The exhaust is all welded except where it meets the headers where it has band clamps, no leaks and exits to the sides just in front of the rear bumper. I installed the Dynamat but haven't test driven it yet.

I had the headers from another vehicle. The engine I got didn't have exhaust manifolds so I decided to use the headers. I agree they don't add much power but they look cool. I have to run the cats because of environmental laws. If this was a factory stock truck I wouldn't need any smog equipment but it's modified and classed as a hot rod so It has to meet the emission laws at the time it was modified. It has a 2002 GMC engine in it so it has to meet 2002 rules. It also has a closed fuel system and evap cannister. I don't have to smog test it but It has to have the equipment.

It doesn't drone, It's just loud. A drone is a low tone but this sounds more like a roaring engine but is't running at 2100 at 70 mph. The sound is difficult to explain. Thanks for all the suggestions, I hope the Dynamat helps.
Where is the Air intake for the engine.
Remember the oem used an air filter box with a muffler for a reason on the new donor truck
And newer trucks have more sound deadner than these old trucks.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote