View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

At that point I crossed IRS off and the next logical choice was to harvest the front and rear suspension off the donor Z28/Firebird that has the LSX. The economics of this is tempting because with just one more vehicle purchase I get all of the donor equipment for suspension, brakes and power train. However...

I'm not sure if the GM swing arms on the rear axle will migrate into the Porsche chassis as "easily" as a Mustang rear axle will. The Porsche has a torsion bar with swing arms that sort of resembles the Ford 4-bar geometry and at this early stage I am thinking that the anchor points for a Ford 4-bar will be right about where the Porsche chassis structure is beefed up for the OE torsion bar.

That's about where I'm at so far - just dreaming and thinking for now. Once I strip the Porsche power train and suspension off the 944 I will take some pics and measurements and then make a trip to the wrecking yard and start comparing GM/Camaro and Ford/Mustang suspensions to see if there is a clear, compelling matchup that I think will graft better into the Porsche.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote