Thread: Who dctr
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #6
izzy_Britton

Re: Who dctr

Got the rolling chassis engine and trans rolled over to the shop where things will get assembled.

Pulled one head off a couple/few weeks ago to start in on a head gasket set and new lifters. sunday i got the other head pulled and started cleaning things up in anticipation of reassembling the engine and then get the cab back on the frame.

monday night i was cleaning up the last head (driver side) and getting ready to install everything. the rear exhaust bolt had previously been busted and the PO screwed up the extraction pretty bad, sorry no photos, i am horrible at not getting photos, anyways i had to drill tap and heli-coil the hole, but the good gents over at napa decided to argue with me about the size and after a quick search on their system they sold me the heli-coil kit. after drilling tapping and installing the heli coil, i quickly found out that the kit they sold me was the wrong size.

today i ordered the correct bolt to fit the single wrong size hole, 25 bolts actually since there was a 25 part minimum order. oh well, lots of extras.

tonight i got the heads bolted back on. lemme tell ya, i absolutely hate the torque to yield BS bolts, that 90 degrees and then 70 degrees seems like a huge window for opportunity to screw up. I honestly think that next time i do a head gasket i am gonna spend the extra $$ for ARP reusable studs. seems to me that using actual torque values is much safer than using dumb torque angle tool.

tomorrow i hope to get the rockers, new knock sensors, valley cover gasket, and water pump installed, maybe even the intake manifold... then i can work on connecting all the wires back where they go, i hope i can remember where they go.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote