View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
dwntwn

Re: 1988 r20 Suburban Cummins swap

Up to this point, I haven't really mentioned goals. The main thing with the Suburban is its primarily a third vehicle that we use a couple times a week. I'm not anxious to have it down for too long, so I haven't just started pulling out the drivetrain. Another thing is I will need to sort out local emissions. Its due to get tested June 2022, so I'm probably going to leave the 454 in until then, as soon as it gets smogged I'll have a year to decide next steps.

I'm trying to sort out as much as I can so the conversion itself takes as little time as possible. This is my first Cummins conversion and the threads here and elsewhere have given me a lot of information to choose which path makes the most sense.

AC is a must, and I want to use as many parts as I can that I already have.

Something I've been thinking about is whether the floor on the Suburban will clear the a518. I'm not sure why I'm so against a body lift, but its just something I don't want to deal with if I can avoid it.

I decided to do a test-fit with the Cummins/a518 on the c10 frame since it had no sheetmetal in the way, and I could sort things out. I went with a set of Summit engine mounts and a piece of angle iron to support the transmission until I could figure that out.

I had both a Chevy and Dodge transmission crossmember, but neither quite did what I was looking for—Dodge put the transmission too high, Chevy would work, but had exhaust clearance on the driver side, Cummins os on the passenger.

In the end I ended up springing for a Dirty Dingo tubular crossmember—fits perfect, gives the driveline angle I want, and the exhaust clears. They are located in Phoenix and offer a ton of LS conversion stuff. I was pleased with the crossmember. It was like $165 shipped unpainted. Something cool was I was able to use a TH400 bushing—the holes almost perfectly line up with the a518, I had to do a tiny bit of filing to enlarge the holes by 1/16" inboard, but that was it.

Now I'm trying to figure out the core support, and up to this point, this has been the most challenging. I want to use the fist gen intercooler, but the Chevy radiator is too wide. I could use the Dodge radiator, but its too tall. I can either get a custom radiator made or just go second gen intercooler.

As it stands right now, second gen intercooler is most likely what I'm going to end up doing.
Attached Images

1980 shovelhead, hardtail, open primary
1998 FXDWG

Last edited by dwntwn; 12-30-2021 at 02:41 PM.
dwntwn is offline   Reply With Quote