View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
dwntwn

Re: 1988 r20 Suburban Cummins swap

Since the cab I'm putting on that c10 was a 4 speed manual, it had the high hump/removable cover. This was a good opportunity for me to see how the 518 might clear the Suburban floor (low hump) It fits easily, but I'm most likely going to cut the Suburban floor so I can use the c30 cab cover (I needed an excuse to buy a new carpet kit for the Suburban anyway)

The fan clutch I'm using is 1st gen, on the Dodge it was 1.5" from the face of the radiator. I've got the engine "frame towers" pushed back as far as possible, there is enough room for the stock exhaust to clear the firewall, I can easily remove the last Cummins valve cover. If someone wants specific measurements hit me up.

This is about as far as it sits now. The next thing I need to sort is the core support. I think I've landed on keeping everything GM (radiator, evaporator, trans cooler) and making the Second Gen intercooler fit.

Questions I have are making the First Gen intercooler piping match with the second gen. (I think they're about 1.25" smaller first gen—I'm away from the shop right now to confirm)
Attached Images

1980 shovelhead, hardtail, open primary
1998 FXDWG
dwntwn is offline   Reply With Quote