View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
S_Gibson

C10 almost roadworthy during the day and night.

Few questions about these rides and a moment to comment about how stoked I am to have this truck.

I have enjoy messing with this thing so far. It may be about 50 years old and loaded with dirt and rust, but it is a treat to work on compared to my much, much newer vehicle and the other trucks I've owned.

I've been working on the 70 C10 trying to get everything working. All I lack to make me comfortable with this thing as a daily driver is fixing the parking brake and getting the reverse and license plate lights working.

I just changed out every bulb on the truck and have the dash, blinkers, parking lights, turn signals, brake and dome lights working. I noticed there is no light or switch in the glove box which seems odd, but I don't need that to drive it.

The parking brakes work, but I see that only the left side is hooked up which seems odd. Guess I'll buy new cables and replace all of them to make sure it works. It a 3 speed so I'm not comfortable with it as is. It may just be me, but it feels like one of the brakes may be dragging a bit. I'll remove the wheels and check all the shoes, cylinders, etc as well as replace a wheel stud that is broken off.

The truck is red with no emblems, molding, etc., but looking at the tag it appears it was dark bronze & medium brown with moldings when new. The interior is red and black, but it was gold custom cloth according to the sticker. Either the truck or glove box door is off.

Anyone have an pictures of a factory bronze and brown C10? Not that I have any desire to use brown, but I could not find on in a search. I'm tempted to paint the truck and grill flat black and just have chrome bumpers. I'm not wanting it too nice so I don't mind using as a truck.

Where can one acquire a columns backup switch for a 3 speed? I haven't finished diagnosing it, but I'm guessing that is the issue.

The LCD's I used on the interior where much brighter than I expected, but evidently will not dim in the dash. Not a big deal, but I do need to clean or replace the headlight switch as dimmer appears to be flaky. Why are there so many bulbs in the dash? Seem there is one for high beams, 2 for turn signals, 4 for lighting the instruments, but I had about 2 more I replaced that do not appear to light. Perhaps they are dummy lights for oil, water or battery? I have gauges so would it still have lights for those items?

Only other items I want to do are put in a working radio, smaller steering wheel, fix the broken heater controls and perhaps add a brake booster. Beyond that the old ugly truck seems perfect and I really enjoy driving it more than any other truck I've ever owned.