View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #153
slow4dr

Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Mounting the ballast.... Since the bed wasn't mounted yet I just took a guess on where they should be based off the factory cab mounts.

Came pretty close on my guesstimate.

You can kinda see it hiding under there.

Mounted the Holley Hi-Ram to check for clearance issues.

I have always hated the 67-72 dash. It's flat, tall, ugly and boring.

So about 5:30 last night I'm in the shop and Ed(Owner of TCI) comes walking out of his office. I'm sitting on a short stool inside the cab just staring at the dash contemplating things. Ed says "You know, when I was building my Mustang I wish I would have cut the dash out. It would have made my life much easier". That was all I needed to hear. I grabbed a sharpie and started marking it up. Removed the few retaining bolts and fired up the plasma cutter. I left a one inch flange to attach the replacement dash to later.

With the dash out it became very clear to me how the tunnel and firewall should be cut. I knew I wanted to push the engine back, I just didn't know how much.

So I took some measurements and rigged up a floor mounted fixture to use as a guide with the plasma cutter and went to town.

Once you exceed 3-4" of setback things start to get interesting (difficult). However, once you go beyond 3-4" it's not much different to go 10-12" vs. 6". In the position below the engine is back 10" from the factory location.

slow4dr is offline   Reply With Quote