View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Later, bigger rear drum brakes???

Yes it does depend somewhat on how it is done, as well as how the truck is going to be used.

Most of the ones I have seen done, were nothing more than sliding in the longer axles with all the original brake parts. I don't know if all the axles have a long enough machined area to accomodate the bearing being moved inward 3/4". Most guys doing this aren't going to check that. As for the backing plate spacers, most guys do not have the means to accomplish that them selves. If someone had to pay a machine shop to make those, how much is a guy really saving versus purchasing the correct axles in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
Good info, Captain, as usual. One thing arouses my curiosity, and hoping I never get too old to learn: I'm curious why installing the longer 31.25" axles into housings that are designed for the 30.5" axles is a bad idea. Or, does it depend on how it is accomplished? We did one that way, but used the orig. '66 backing plates, and machined a spacer block that fit between housing flange and backing plate. Also, the axles had plenty of length of machined bearing surface('meat')to run inside the bearings.
Hope I don't have to do a 1-vehicle recall!
Thanks a bunch,
Sam
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote