View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
Desert1957

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
Thanks Russ, I will keep that in mind, but won't worry about that til it is on the road, in the Spring, I hope.

Now the Rad Cradle, I have seen some designs that seemed like a lot of work, so I was trying to find the simplest way of doing this.

I started with the 19 x 22 rad (I will need to take it to a friend to get the lower outlet turned around and welded, - aluminum) and placed it on an L shaped piece of steel. Measured the height I needed for the rad to fit, and then cut the original rad cradle and welded it to the L bracket

I then cut 2 pieces of 4 X 4 steel tubing, lengthwise, to make 2 U shaped pieces. They were then tacked to the frame, just clearing the steering box. I knew if I just cleared the steering box it would fit , thanks to this website, and I can always shim it up if I need to. (but not down)

After installing 2 rubbers on the L bracket, and trimming it to allow another 2 inches of air flow, the fenders and hood were attached and I placed the rad in it's spot.

All lined up fine. I did add 3 small bolts to attach to the upper frame of the rad, but not sure if I will use that, or bend up some metal and add some upper rubber pieces. will be determined at final assembly.

I also ovaled the 2 holes on the top of the U brackets to allow for front to back adjustment of the rad cradle.

There is no right way or wrong way, this is just what I decided to do

see pics below
Looks like enough room to run a mechanical fan. Nice.