View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

We've owned about a half dozen of these little trucks, including a '69 GMC stepside, a '75 fleetside, an '80, an '82 and this one (all 2wd shortboxes).

As I mentioned, here is my latest project:

(New):

This is my '87 Chevy pickup, of which I am the original owner. In fact, I ordered this truck and followed it down the assembly line as it was being built. It was coming down out of paint and into the trim area at the beginning of second shift. I picked it up there and followed the body through trim with no issues. When the cab and box were complete, I hopped downstairs to the engine line and followed it through the process (we changed out the oil filter and fixed a cross threaded dust cover bolt). By then the chassis had started on the rivet line; I followed the chassis, then the engine/chassis assembly down to body drop. Once the cab and box were set it's a straight shot down the final line to the end. During roll test the inspector wrote up an A/C charge (which I bought off on) and that the backup lights were not working. The lights were repaired on the "short line" repair line, after which I drove the truck myself off the line and over to the shipping building. I told "Lloyd" that this was my personal truck, left the plant at 1 am and by 5 pm that same day it was at Hank Graff Chevrolet in Davison, Michigan.

I owned this truck for two years in Michigan and then two years in Arizona. By then I had been promoted to a GM Company Vehicle driver and, not having need of this truck, sold it to my father - in - law. He owned the truck, in Arizona and Montana, until his passing last August (of 2008). Having bequeathed it to me, it's now back, cosmetically a little worse for wear but in great shape mechanically.

So that makes me both the original and third owner of this truck (lol).

Here it is today:

I've already got some of the parts on order to fix it back up, starting with the interior (the seat's already been redone). I hope to get it repainted over the GM shutdown period in July and then I intend to drive it.

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote