View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:59 AM   #18
mr48chev

Re: My 1956 Chevy Truck won't start

I don't think fuel delivery to your carb is an issue but you can check it by taking the fuel line loose from the carb, sticking an empty plastic pop or water bottle over the end of the line and have someone crank the engine.

I do think that you either need to rebuild the carb or have someone rebuild it. It sounds like a lot of your problems are in the carb. You shouldn't have to keep the choke on more than about 45 seconds most of the time unless it is seriously cold out and the engine needs more time to warm up.

I'm not a fan of a wholesale change of things like plugs, points, condenser cap, rotor, wires and a carb rebuild unless it it is a part of the full tune up or conditions require it. I am not a fan of by guess and by golly changing items in hope that you cure the problem.

The problem here seems to be fuel delivery but part of it may be if you are just starting it letting it run for a few minutes and not actually driving it down the road for ten miles or better to fully get the engine up to operating temp and then run a few miles to let it clean it's self out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote