View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
MARTINSR

Re: Sandblasting...Newbie ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Two things. If you are not very very experienced with sandblasting and using the correct media and pressures the only faster way to ruin your truck is to dump gas on it and throw a match. Secondly is a blaster that requires 10cfm would take many days to completely blast what you have at 10cfm. That's a very small blaster. At 6 forget about it anything bigger than a bread box and that would be agonizingly slow. My small pressure pot with the smallest nozzle will barely run on 10. My small cheapo suction feed barely runs on 10. At 20 they become manageable but are still painfully slow with the small patterns. You also need good moisture removal from your compressed air and the harder you are working a small compressor the worse it is for moisture. You also need very good personal safety gear. Actual silica sand dust will ruin your lunges. The disease is silicosis. Sand gets everywhere in what you are blasting, where you are blasting and in you. You will find sand in places you didn't think sand would get to. You'll wipe your ass and get sand.

^^^WORD^^^

I am doing some blasting right now, it takes a LOT of air to get something done bigger than a quarter. And DO NOT just bring it to someone for blasting without you KNOWING I mean REALLY understanding and KNOWING that they can do sheet metal like a cab back or roof or doors or God forbid a hood. I have a very good sand blaster who I bring stuff too, and I will NEVER bring him something like a roof or what ever again, he RUINED a 1928 Buick door for me. He will be doing my truck cab, I am doing the roof and back of cab inside and out at home and epoxy priming it, then bringing it to him to do the floor, and cowl. Done wrong a panel like a hood or roof or something will be RUINED. Not "Damn I have some more work" kinda damage, we are talking "&^%# I HAVE TO THROW IT AWAY" kinda damage. And it's not from the old myth of heat, there is no heat and in fact it cools the metal when blasting. No, the sand is like a million little hammers hitting on the panel stretching the metal just like if you were planishing it with a hammer and dolly!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-06-2018 at 01:10 PM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote