View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
philliesmvp

Re: 1972/2001 Suburban "Love Child"

And so it begins. First I think that I should clarify that the late model Suburban is a 2001, not a 2000. Shows how much I know about "new" stuff. Here is the donor having the chassis removed.
Name:  IMG_0538.jpg
Views: 9284
Size:  57.1 KB
Lifting the body.
Name:  IMG_0544.jpg
Views: 6165
Size:  47.2 KB
Pulling out the chassis
Name:  IMG_0545.jpg
Views: 9057
Size:  63.8 KB
Comparing the chassis to the 72 body.

There is about a 2.75 inch difference between the two. I was hoping that it would not be that visible, but it is since the front wheel and engine need to be in the approximately same spot which means that the rear wheels sit almost 3 inches further back than they should. I will have to cut it out of the center of the the frame.

For those watching with interest in the feasibility of this project, it took me about 6 hours to completely remove the body(less front clip) from the frame. If I had used an overhead chain hoist or ANYTHING other than two floor jacks and 4x4's I would have probably been done in a little over 3 hours. Got to love assembly line cars.
The next step will be cleaning up the frame and installing the part that the previous owner removed. (Gas tank, fuel lines, Y pipe, etc....) I am going to put everything back to stock so that I can see the best place to make my cuts.
philliesmvp is offline   Reply With Quote