View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #15
Coupeguy2001

Re: worse than i thought

Mongo, There may be an error in the tach, but it is only a couple years old, and I got it new, but at least the thing goes 75, lololol
I will have to check the speed with my GPS.

1 project,
no computer. I have an engage switch with a couple relays. an arm relay off the ignition switch and an engage relay from the engage switch.

I had determined that the computer upshifted and downshifted with no regard for engine RPM and clutch engagement, only speed, and throttle position.
I had talked with a lot of people on the corvette forum, and their opinion was the same as mine, the computer aggravated clutch wear and the tanged ring damage.

I use the trans mostly as a 5 speed, clutching the overdrive like another gear. 3rd overdrive is 200 RPM less than straight 4th.
I have had that thing in there for 8 years, and the last time I pulled the pan, there was just a haze of clutch material in the bottom of the pan. No real accumulation of clutch material.

It has around 19,000 miles on it since I put it in, and lately, when the trans gets hot, the overdrive disengages
i think it is either the solenoid or the pressure switch that stops working. Could be the first gear lockout switch too.

I have the internals of 3 transmissions, so I intend to change the whole valve body, and play with the old one later.

Anyway, on the gas mileage, with the old muncie, with a 327, I would use 4 gallons gas every 50 miles. Now I use 2 gallons of gas every 50 miles with the 350/overdrive.
Above 75, the gas mileage falls off really fast. uses a ton of gas at 90. Closing the windows keeps it from rocking side to side at 90, so I guess the rear window catches a lot of air.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 05-08-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote