View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #20
67JimmyMO

Re: Turn Signal Switch Greenhorn

Update: I did contact Manes Truck Parts and ordered a switch from them, they did have the half-moon plug in style like original. Ron was good to talk to and very knowledgeable, thanks LockDoc for letting me know about them. And thanks to djeCST also for this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711090

It was very helpful. I didn't have to pull the plug to install though.

The install was pretty straightforward but I did have an issue that I will describe and maybe it will help someone else down the line.

After my first attempt to install the switch I connected my battery terminal and the horn honked. I was pretty sure that I had connected everything properly and didn't pinch or cut anything but I took it all apart again to try and figure it out. Reassembled and the same thing happened.

I took it back apart and with the battery connected this time I started reconnecting. First I plugged the half-moon connector...no problem. Then as I was sliding the turn signal switch/housing assembly onto the column the horn honked again.

I pulled the switch/housing back off and slowly slid it on the column again, this time I saw an arc from the inside opening of the switch to the column.

After looking at it I noticed on the back of the turn signal switch there is a small metal "cover" that was installed slightly crooked and was sticking out into the center hole just enough to touch the column, and make the horn honk. I tried to move it but having no luck with that I just took a small file and removed enough material to where it won't touch anymore.

I have attached pics of before I filed it, the problem area is the small gray metal piece that is at about 9 o'clock on the back of the switch and you can see how it was sticking out too much. On the original switch that piece of metal is quite a bit narrower.

Once I got past that issue I put everything back together and my brake lights are back.

Thank you to all for helping me out on this, much appreciated.
Attached Images

1978 GMC 6500 Flatbed Dump 366 5sp + 2sp
1965 Chev K10 LWB 230 4sp
1985 Chev K30 Flatbed 350 4sp
67JimmyMO is offline   Reply With Quote