View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

Re: 03 1500 Trailer wiring question

Long story short, what greasemonkey says will certainly work with probably a lot less work than the long story...

long story, YES. there is a harness that plugs into the bottom of the under hood fuse box. you would need to remove the non-tow package harness and install the harness for the tow package. the wires run from that fuse box to the tail lamp distribution box on the rear most cross member and it includes all the wires for the fuel pump, tank sending unit, emissions crap under the bed and a couple grounds. it is easiest to either lift the cab and the bed off of the frame to replace this harness or it is necessary to drop the tank.

I am sure that if i did some digging i could find more info on how and where what wires go from the distribution block on the rear frame crossmember to a trailer plug... but if your going the cheap simple route get a walmart trailer kit and a test light and have the wife press the brake pedal when needed until you find the correct wires, splice and be done.

greasemonkey points out a really nice system, but it is all dependent upon whether or not you have the tow package harness installed all ready and just havent known exactly what it is that you was looking it. the first link greasemonkey supplied is a nice bit of kit. walmart carries a similar item that is plug and play and is a direct replacement for the OEM connector that even twist locks into the appropriate fixture on your tow hitch if you have one.

keep us posted.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote