View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #21
Killer Bee

Re: Glovebox Toolkit - Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I've l always carried a small tool kit in every vehicle I own, BUUUUT haven't had to use any of them on my own vehicles.
I've been the "Good Samaritan" for more people than I can count.
How many times have you been at the parts store, or Home Improvement store, or the Rest Stop and felt compelled to help someone?
yep, my cables have started other cars 100:1 over mine if not more..

I also keep zip ties, rope, straps, etc. for misc towing and tie down purposes..

but tools not so much anymore.. after 30 years of driving, just don't find the need..

when I was 16 and only had one car that only got repairs I could afford, yah I needed a fair sized contingent of tools..

I remember changing header burnt starters quarterly in front of auto parts stores in high school but I'm light years past that today..

as time went on and I learned how to keep my vehicles properly repaired and maintained, small hand tools just aren't necessary..

in most cases tools aren't much help without parts anyways, and I'm not rolling around with boxes of spare parts clutter either..

with big boy responsibilities at home and work, I'm counted on to be where I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be there..

that doesn't afford the time for road side tinkering because I thought that worn belt would make it 10 more miles or whatever..

so I don't drive questionable vehicles for transportation anymore, I'll switch over to another or even rent if I have to..

very few things that will disable what I drive today will be remedied with a combo wrench and screwdriver, just how it is..

as a professional mechanic, I get the idea but just not practical in my world..

only two times that my '02 left me sitting on the shoulder in 180k+ miles in 15 years, catastrophic trans failure and b/o fuel pump..

naturally I've taken tools to it numerous other times but always planned in the garage at home or buddy's shop..

and even most of those jobs like knock sensors, water pump, etc. weren't roadside repairs either..

if I'm road tripping I carry a fair sized tool box just to avoid being stranded if possible.. but still only to make it to nearest town for proper repairs..

I'm not spending my valuable vacation time and wasting my family's time bent over the hood except for trailered rigs abused on purpose..
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote