View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
DieselRat

54 GMC, S10 swap, OM617 diesel

Hello everyone! First time poster but I've been around browsing build threads and such for quite a while. Been working on this old truck on and off for over a year now, finally to the point where I'm rebuilding instead of tearing down.

Im no master fabricator, learning as I go more less. Done a lot of work on vehicles and build some (mostly jeeps) but this is my first complete build.

Plans are: 54 body on the LWB s10 frame. Putting in an OM617 mercedes turbo diesel, mated to a 2wd jeep 5 speed, 4x4 s10 rear. A main goal with the build is to make everything as simple and reliable and mechanical as possible. The engine is all mechanical, only really needs a starter and alternator to start and run. Going with that vibe its going to be bare minimum electronics. Manual steering box etc.

Ill make a few posts over the next couple days or however long it takes to bring everything to current. I have well over 100 pics to share so stay tuned I know you guys love pics.

The story: my dad saw this old truck down the road from our business in southeast PA. Pretty much complete and running. (These pics are scans from FILM! Yea it was that long ago :P )

My dad was going to do a restore on it, worked at it for a while then lost interest and it sat.

Fast forward probably 10 years and he wants it out of the yard. Guess whos the lucky recipient!!!

My daughter making motor noises.

So we drug it home....

You can really see what the weather did to it. Too bad it wasnt all primed and re-patina'd

I have the entire truck, mostly in boxes and bags, all the sheet metal etc.

I toyed with a TON of ideas for months about whether to keep the original running gear, to swap, to sell it, to who knows. After deciding I wanted to drive the tires off this thing, the s10 running gear seemed the best option given my plans.

More to come....
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
DieselRat is offline   Reply With Quote