View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #88
mattfranklin

Re: PROJECT: How would a Chevrolet dealer build a shop truck in the early 1970s?

It runs! I finally got it going this past Saturday. Such a relief. Calling it a post-Christmas miracle. It's great at mid- and high-rpm. Does not idle. Starts only with starter fluid. I revved it for about 20 minutes to make sure the cam was broken in. It sounds really, really good when it's revving.

I didn't have a timing light and so guessed at position. I hadn't needed one for about 10 years for the kinds of cars I was working on and my old one was broken. Now I need one. I have a new (used Craftsman eBay) one on the way, arriving Monday. But a buddy offered to lend his this week. I have Friday off, so I'll try to dial it in then.

In the past I've done a pretty good job without a timing light, but I need to get it idling first. Adjust it for best idle and make sure it doesn't knock at WOT uphill. Then advance it a little until it just barely knocks at WOT uphill on RUL. And then play with it a little back and forth until it drives nice. But of course once I have the light I'll know what the best settings are.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote