View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #100
DD1

Re: PROJECT: How would a Chevrolet dealer build a shop truck in the early 1970s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
I'm so lame on pictures. Anyway, here's what I was doing recently...

I was having trouble making it idle at a reasonable rpm. Every time I tried to dial down the rpm I'd get a stumble, stumble, stumble and then it would die. I was assuming that my almost new (in actual running hours) carb was damaged from backfiring or years of old gas sitting in it and occasionally running through it.

Yesterday while I was fiddling, and the engine was warm but had just died, I noticed a plume of vapor rising from the back of the carb. And it kept going. I was worried I had a little fire and that the plume was smoke. When I was able to crane my neck and see, I saw that there was a 3/8" uncapped port under the rear fuel bowl. Doh! Massive vacuum leak. No wonder it wouldn't idle! I could not believe it! #1 that I was so absent minded to have missed it for so long, and #2 that I was so lucky to have finally found it today.

Bottom line, I capped it and readjusted the idle mixture screws (about 1-3/4 to 2 turns on the primaries and 1 the secondaries idle was about right to make it smooth) and reset the idle speed and now it runs great. Now I just need to install shocks, hood latch, add insurance, and register it as operational and go for a real road test.
Sometimes the small things get overlooked. Glad it was an easy fix.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote