View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #82
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Some bad news today. I started tearing down the 400 for an inspection before doing anything to turn it over. I got one head off and stopped right there. 3 of the 4 cylinders had rust in them, one had a big pile of rusty goo in it, the cylinder walls were also rusted. To say the least, it is a core charge waiting to be turned in. Not sure about the crank yet, but whatever. The other disappointment was that the heads are small valve ones. I suppose that was how they could minimize emmisions and get some gas mileage, at the expense of all the power the 400 cubes would have been able to produce. This bothers me because even the 350 should have the bigger valve heads to make some power.

Now I have to decide what to do for an engine. I can get a buick 455 for $200, supposed to run, just needs new distributor cap and a tune up. The transmission adapter I found at Summit for $59.95, then just need to come up with motor mounts, and probably some accesory brackets, etc. plus unforeseen misc items. Figure about $350 to $400, maybe more (who knows?).

The other option is to finish the rebuild on my 350. Re-ring kit is about $70.00 through Northern Auto Parts. I have $145 into the clean up and honing already. The heads from the 400 are probably useable, but need to be cleaned and a valve job done, probably new guides, etc. Cost? Not sure yet, but not free. Rebuild kit for the carb is about $30. Altogether it would cost a minimum of $250 plus valve job, plus lifters ($60) plus other unforeseen misc items. Figure about $500 total with the valve job or swapping them for large valve heads.

Money wise, it seems like the 455 would actually be a good option. Piles of torque, already running engine. With some mounts and a tranny adapter, it should bolt in. The cons though is I'm unfamiliar with the engine, never made this type of engine swap before, there are probably other things associated with the swap I don't about at this time that will add to the cost later. Who knows how good the engine really is until it's actually running in the truck? It could be junk waiting to happen.

The 350 rebuild would be a direct swap and a basically new engine. Unless I mess up on the rebuid, it should be reliable. Still good power and no need to find obscure parts, etc. The costs can be pretty much known from the start. The con is that it will probably cost more to use what I have and still will be some work. Rebuilding the engine and carb and distributor is not the simplest job, but by no means is it over my head. The 283 in my C-10 was built by me in my navy days over 20 years ago and still runs like a champ.

Well everyone, give me some feedback. Tell me things I may not have thought of yet that could sway my decision. Personally, I'd be OK going in either direction and the idea of the unusual engine combo appeals to me in a way only gearheads really understand. If the 350 is not used for the Jimmy, it is destined to be the next engine for my C-10 as a stroker motor. No loss there. The accumulated parts that are not used will be resold.

Talk to me people.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote