View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #17
desertnick69

Re: replacing frame rivets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Sorry, But the question begs, Do you have any manuals at all for your truck? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556578

In answer to your question yes you can replace rivets with bolts in the frame per the Chevrolet Chassis overhaul manual. The problem is that the bolts are not a direct replacement. The bolts need to be a very tight fit in a reamed hole vs a conventional bolt application clearance. This will then give you close to a rivets load capacity. So size up from the rivet and ream.
I am swapping the rear suspension from leaf to coil so i have (1969 C-20 just for the stiffingers on both sides) there is 18 per side not including the crossmembers. So I looked in to this and i am going to be replacing the rivets w/gd 8 bolt The hole is appox 27/64 = .422 but they are not perfect so after the revits are out i drill with 27/64 then i had an 11 mm reamer ground to .431. the head of the bolt you have to tap into the hole so they are a "snug fit". Should be good at this when done atleast 70 rivet to replace. Good luck
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote