View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #184
HO455
Post Whore

Re: NAPCO Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by c Terris View Post
Hey,
Really just want to drive it on the street with that tall look. Don't want to just throw a lift kit on the 2wd setup. I'de like to go on some moderate trails (no body bashing trails). The problem im having is figuring which axles to use. The 59 is the sam width as a small body blazer which is 60". I would love to use a dana 60 rear and dana 44 front but they are to wide. Is there a simple way to shorten those axles or if I use a axle that is already 60" how do I know the leaf spring will line up on the axle. I've been told if they don't alighn where originally specified the weight of the car could crush the housing of the axle. Obviously people have done this conversion, just need some help.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have gone with the Napco look on a 52 ford I have. I also wanted to use a Dana 44 & 60. The rear was easy I got one from a mid sixties F250. And only had to bolt it in. The front had to be narrowed to get the wheels inside the wells like I wanted. The guys who did the axle were able to mix and match parts to get it narrowed enough. So I didn't have to have custom axles made. In addition they were able to get disc brakes to fit too. Although I wasn't planning on having disc's they will be nice over the long run. One observation I will offer up is that it is a lot more work to do the 44, not even counting the narrowing. The 44 is so much beefier that it makes it hard to fit shocks and drag links in. (I have the pumpkin on the drivers side). Going with the early Bronco axle gives you lots more room to work in. And it sounds like you may not need to have the heavier axles to do what you want. I am using a SM 420 gear box with a divorced 204 transfer case. These two are the shortest units and as I'm putting it all under a short wheel base I wanted as much room as possible. But I should stop now before this becomes a build thread. If you want some more info on the project I have that will be nothing like yours PM me.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote