Thread: '50 chevy 3100
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #22
gigamanx

Re: '50 chevy 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_50 View Post
So im looking at all the crossmember options out there. I'm not buying one yet but do you guys have any favorites? Is there a way to modify stock trans crossmember for a auto? Feel like I remember seeing it somewhere. Both crossmembers are pretty cheap though, looks simple enough. Just to clarify though...both old crossmembers come out? Should I box the frame? This'll just be a daily cruiser..no hot rod stuff.
In build threads, this one seems to come up a lot.

http://www.heidts.com/part/mustang-2...uspension-ifs/

Definitely check out some of the projects in the "Projects and Builds" section. There are discussions on lots of the "what part should I buy" for your particular direction. I have bookmarked my favorite S10 swap builds just so I can go back and see how someone came to the conclusion on certain parts, engine swaps, suspension, interior, etc. I am a huge planner before I starter I am pretty sure I've annoyed the forum enough with my over analytical questions instead of just getting in and getting dirty. So far, buying just what I need for the next project has saved me a ton of money and space

Great example, I started my project with the idea I just wanted to hear the original truck run again. Just a few wires, clean up, etc. $800 in parts later I got her to run. A week later I took it apart, bought an S10 donor and gave away all those parts because they weren't needed anymore. Oops!

As JoeDoh has told me before..... make a plan, stick to the plan. Even something as simple as cleaning up the frame and painting it can be a huge task since everything has to come off. There's no point doing that to your current frame unless you've decided that's the direction you're going in.

As for boxing. I've read the conversation on another thread that the original frame is a beast and requires no modification. Lots of people box the rear end of the S10 if you are looking at towing or putting a huge power plant in there. The S10 front end is already boxed.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=694053

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote