View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 AM   #222
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Crew Cab build preview...

So after considering Madkidd’s thoughts on the rear carpet and seeing when I test fit it that it goes all the way to the gas tank I did some research and decided I will try to re-mold the rear section to fit the truck cab floor in the back.
Apparently the carpet is heated to 375 degrees, I think it was and it becomes very soft and they place it in a mold, there are videos of it on YouTube. Some people say it can be molded using a heat gun and others say use an upholstery steamer.
I have one of those torpedo kerosene fired shop heaters, I think I will protect the part that fits with plywood clamped over that portion and drape it in front of the heater while moving it back and forth to distribute the heat and see what happens, my wife and I will unclamp it and place it on the floor, I will have some weights, maybe sandbags to weigh it down and I will push it in place with my hands, it should work.

During the research I saw some videos of using an upholstery steamer to fit seat covers, I sell a set or 2 of bucket seats per year and right now I have the seats and carpet to fit in this truck so because I love tools, I bought an upholstery steamer. It should help fitting this truck and the upcoming ones, should help get the carpet fitted better too, I put carpet in my K10 last February or so and it took a long time or it to un-wrinkle.
Here is the one I bought.
Apparently you can steam old foam and bring it back to life too, I hope it works because this old foam is very distorted and compressed.
Attached Images

randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote