View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Anyone have a SWB fleet, 2WD leaf springs & rear sport bumper? Could use some he

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Your brackets are reproduction, I can tell by how they are formed where the bumper attaches, you wont like how they fit and they will bend your bumper around the bolt holes. Problem is they are not formed right in that area.
As to your question, I think the brackets you have are 4wd, maybe even blazer, they have the added reinforcement. It should be the same bracket except the upper curved lip which is clearance for the last bed bolt has been cut away and the reinforcement added. That being said maybe one of the holes was drilled wrong, compare them to your bent brackets to confirm the proper hole location, it should be essentially the same bracket but cut away like I explained.
YEP.....I was warned about the repop. brackets, the bumper surfaces aren't flat. They have to be flattened out or you'll toast the bumper.

The brackets I got are wrong for this application. Yes they're for 4WD, but rumor is they're correct for a 2WD leaf spring truck as well. I believe the truck has the correct bolt pattern on the frame (image 2). It's a common bolt pattern, perhaps 4x4 is different. While it's hard to judge, my 2WD C-20 has a step bumper and the bolt pattern is within 1/4".

As for my old brackets, I don't remember what I pulled them off of, it was so long ago. This reminded me that I hired some guys to remove the step bumper and install these for the sport bumper. A receiver hitch was added later. They're exactly like the replacements in the OP, and they were drilled right where it shows in image one. I always suspected something wasn't right, and I managed to dent up a new bumper when I slapped it on. 25 years later, this is a do-over
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-21-2018 at 12:57 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote