View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
DransportGarage

Re: Request for Picture - '55 2nd Series Front Bumper Bracket

I've been pretty busy working on body prep for paint but I did get around to fixing this problem this morning.

When I looked into the frame I realized that the weld I had put in to close the hole had left a really bumpy welded surface. Gluing a nut inside the frame was out of the question, so I rounded and beveled some 1/2"-13 nuts to a little less than 7/8" O.D. (Pic 1). Then I cut a 3/4" hole, enlarged it with a carbide bit for plug fit and beveled it. I welded in the nut, used a double layer of tape as a grinding guide, ground it off, brush-primered and painted it, mostly for corrosion control (Pics 2-5).

I dabbed the repair with a wet rag between every weld to minimize damage to the paint. I could have fully filled the bevel, but that would have risked bubbling the paint. It's plenty strong. The repaired area will easily be covered by the bracket.
Attached Images

Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote