View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #2530
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I have a question on your "dim" check engine light. Where does the signal for this come from? Are you tied into the original check engine light that came with the harness?
Yes, the harness had a brown wire with a white stripe marked MIL. According to the instructions... "It is recommended that a MIL also be installed in a visible location in the passenger compartment. This circuit requires any 12V low current light and an ignition 12V power source. The ECM MIL output supplies the ground for the circuit."

The relay box has a separate LED MIL in it that seems to operate correctly and doesn't have the dim glow when the engine is running. Only the redundant light on the dash connected to ignition 12V and the MIL wire displays this behavior. If the circuit works by supplying either a ground or an open, there should be no dim glow. Light would be either on bright or off.

However, I ran across a post on one of the forums that said the ECM worked by supplying ground when a fault is detected or 12V when running and no fault present. If that were true, I could see how the light might have the dim glow since the charging system operates at 13.5V+ which would result in a net 1.5V+ difference across the redundant MIL. I don't recall where I saw that post, but offhand it doesn't sound correct. So I've just been ignoring the dim glow. I need to pull the console to fix the starter wire problem, so I may throw the meter on the MIL wire and see for myself what it's doing.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote