View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
kevinr1970

Re: Scrap those old trucks

Your about a week behind on this, but what exactly is your complaint?
I am not arguing, but wondering if I am missing something for all the negative attention this is getting?

Yes the cars have to be "destroyed" but read the fine print.
"(B) SAVINGS PROVISION- Nothing in subparagraph (A)
may be construed to preclude a person who is responsible
for ensuring that the vehicle is crushed or shredded from-
-
(i) selling any parts of the disposed vehicle other
than the engine block and drive train (unless with
respect to the drive train, the transmission, drive
shaft, or rear end are sold as separate parts); or
(ii) retaining the proceeds from such sale.
"

I take that to mean that the scrap yards are free to keep and sell any part of the car/truck EXCEPT the engine block and the "drivetrain" as a whole. Sounds like they are in for a gold rush in the near future?

This will be for a limited time, July 1-November 10, and with limited (relatively speaking) funds, $1,000,000,000 which comes to about 250,000 total vouchers. Also limited to 1986 and newer vehicles so the "classics" are protected.

No one is required to take part in this. And it seems like the biggest argument I have seen is that people that have vehicles that fit the requirements aren't going to be the people looking to buy new cars.

This is how I see this working for me, and maybe someone can clarify this.
I trade in my '06 GMC truck on a new Honda Fit. I get the trade in value of the GMC (probably a wash with outstanding loan owed so no equity).
I also trade in my '86 GMC that I would be lucky to get $1000 for(*). The '86 runs, drives and has been continuously insured and registered for over one year.
The mileage difference between the Fit and the '86 is more than 10mpg (15 vs. 33) so I get the full $4500 benefit. This brings the cost of the new Fit down to the price range of a Fit that is a few years old with ~30k on it. I get new for the price of used.
Any reason why that wouldn't work?

(*)This is the part my girlfriend will like; I then go buy another truck like the one I traded in to take its place because the market around here is flooded with trucks like mine...
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote