View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 04:47 PM   #14
damnyankee36

Re: Speedway's Wheel and tire Sizing tool?

Got my tool yesterday. A few observations:

The instructions say to physically measure the tool to set the wheel width. There is a ruler etched into the tool, so I wondered why doesn’t it say to read the dimension directly? I found a logical edge to line up the desired measurement but it appears that the graduations are offset 1/8” making the tool too wide to simulate the actual wheel width. You can see where I chose an 8” wheel and where it winds up being. I know 1/8” isn’t much but it’s also puzzling why they let this tool go out as is.

Second, it also says after you have adjusted the tool to the desired backspacing to measure that dimension too. I was able to temporarily mark the tool to directly read that too using another convenient edge, (See arrow).

So, I have three options: Physically measure the tool, remove the etchings and make my own graduations, or return the tool. Or, I can make a new mark 1/8" to the right of the existing edge and add some new graduations for the offset dimension. I saw some other tools on Amazon that look identical except they are painted or anodized. I wouldn’t know if it’s a copycat design until I tried it out. Maybe another company makes them too.

Other that, I am excited to use the tool. Once I get the tires dismounted off the old wheels I can see how well it works in practice.

JDarby, have you gotten yours to try it out?
Attached Images

Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
1983 Camaro Z/28 (Next in line, Keeper)
1951 3100 (2nd in line)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote