View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Re: Auto body question about long welded seams

My thing is this, Eric (sevt_chevelle) is right, it "can" be done. But here is the thing, to get a perfect butt weld that isn't going to ghost isn't easy, so what are the alternatives? I am with Mr. Handy on this one, it's going to happen if you finish off a weld without a little filler over it to keep it hidden.

The HUGE difference is the average guy is going to be welding with a MIG. Those perfect butt welds described are done with a TIG or even gas welding. That is a WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL. The MIG weld is much harder, heating and cooling much faster making the metal hard. You can do a beautiful butt weld with the MIG grinding it down nice and end up with "different" metal right along that weld, that is all there is to it, it is different right at that weld and is much harder. It will expand and contract different.

If you don't have a little filler over it to keep it buried it will show in most cases.

I know this isn't "right" and what Eric said is the "right" way, but I am just keeping it real here, most of us aren't going to be able to do that perfect butt weld with a TIG or gas and we have to look at the "bestest" way sometimes, the "best" way is often out of many of our skill and tool levels.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote