View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #16
Grumpy old man

Re: Getting ready for Hurricane Irma (Going to ride it out)

I lived on the west coast beach for many years and we would always stay for up to a cat 3 sitting at my best friends beach bar with the waves crashing around our feet with full off shore gear on ! I've seen guys water ski down the beach front road, anything even close to a 4-5 we left town , My daughter lives in South Beach Miami and her warehouse is in Wynwood , They've been packing up for days.Looks like we'll have company for the weekend if they can get out in time ? Back when hurricane Andrew hit I volunteered and was there as the storm hit .They evacuated everyone to the west of I-95 and that's where the worst damage hit , The looting started before the storm even past and they were stealing anything they could get their hands on including brand motor homes . We flew over a home depot in a national guard helicopter where the wall had blown out and there were hundreds of looters stealing everything in site . Homestead looked like someone had run a lawn mower over it from the air . one side of the street would have nothing left but the slab from the house and the other side of the street still had flowers in the yard . The hospital in Homestead had the security guard holding a 12 gauge at the front doors to keep the looters from raiding the pharmacy were the pharmacist was holed up with his .45 cal pistol . it was BAD for days even after the National Guard showed up . Water is the most important thing as they shut down the water systems to prevent salt water contamination .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote