Thread: What do I need?
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
kipps

Re: What do I need?

Couple things to remember if sticking to a budget, most of which I didn't follow.

Drive by cable will be cheaper and easier to integrate. Doing so means you don't have to mess with rewiring the throttle pedal to get a direct connection to inside the cab.

Mechanical cooling fan will, overall, be the cheaper option to electric fans. Sure, the cost of buying a fan and clutch may be the same as a junkyard e-fan package, but it avoids the cost of relays, wire, fuses, and mounting adapters.

Buy a non-AFM engine, and don't open it up.

If the engine was running good when you bought it, and the miles are not excessive, leave everything together that you can when installing. It saves the cost of gaskets and the cost of "I'm-in-here-anyway-so-why-not" syndrome.

Earlier, I would have said you have to remove the intake to install the engine, but Gregski of "Restoring Rusty" stuck one in without removing the intake. Look in the '73-'87 message board for that thread. He installed the engine in the last month or two, so it's near the end of his thread.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote