View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #20
1Bad72C10

Re: building a 72 c10 swb gonna need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
HO455 is right in my opinion. You state that you are boxing a frame to support your plans. Ok well, if you box it, what is your plan to inspect the welds of your boxed frame? How will you know there is solid weld penetration? That you are not welding near a microscopic crack? If you plan on doing this "visually" then what is your standard to say what is acceptable or not? You are putting that much effort and possibly horsepower into a 40+ year old frame that was built using older metal technologies.

The foundation of your truck is not solid if you use your current frame in my opinion. Weld it, Box it, add a 10 point roll cage if you want however, this is all going on an old frame likely full of microscopic cracks and other minor issues not visible to the naked eye. If you are absolute on using the frame, then please have it fully inspected using non destructive inspection (NDI - dye penetrant, eddy current) with all welds x-rayed for voids prior to doing any work. You will in the end spend a lot more time and money following your plan than if you were to spend on a new frame.

Honestly, $11 grand for a frame with 2X6 construction built by an industry leading team. I would not consider that a frame...I would consider that cheap insurance.

Good luck.
interesting idea i was just talking to a few people today about having my frame sent out for ndi. I agree 100% in making sure the foundation is solid before putting it all together
1Bad72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote