View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #18
Joe67
67 is sold

Re: Looking for feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
You have to be kidding me?

I am surprised to hear that Joe. If you are basing your experience from one vehicle or even a couple trucks that buddies own, I could see how you might come to that conclusion. But, when you sort an Excel file of warranty data for thousands of these trucks/powertrains a person happens to notice trends …that is all I am saying (the odds are not in your favor).
I personally have changed 3 different GMT800 waterpump gaskets on friend’s trucks at my house alone not including what I am used to seeing happen on paper. Most people misdiagnose the coolant leak as a $200 waterpump when in fact $8 gaskets fix the leak.

The NP8 Autotrac transfer case issues are not a big surprise to anybody and quite publically known. The control head in the dash is a known problem as well as the shift encoder motor mounted on the transfercase, especially for the people that live in road salt throwing states where road salt intrusion gets into the encoder motor and freezes it up and prevents it from shifting. If yours hasn’t had problems yet just wait until the coldest, ugliest day of the winter when you need 4wd the most and you can’t count on those nice convenient buttons on the dash to work…. then you will wish for a mechanical shifted transfercase and probably the old fashion manual locking hubs as well.
I'm not doubting your experience, I've been a moderator on Fullsizechevy.com for 7 years and have never heard about those two issues being that common

Are these occuring between certain mileage ranges or is it all over the charts?

My truck has been through 6 michigan winters full of salt and snow and I have yet to have a transfer case issue nor have heard of it being that common on my end. If you are just referring to the push putton switch going out in the dash, that I have heard of and is a $30.00 five minute fix.

Again, not saying you haven't experienced/seen a few of these yourself, but I haven't read where it is has seemed that common

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote