View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
cal30_sniper

Re: Colorado ROAD TRIP (picture heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeduren View Post
rear end Gear Ratio?

Pictures of interior?

Thoughts on the powertrax no slip for the 14 bolt? Towing?
Gear ratio is a 3.73, it's a towing package burb.

I'll have to get some current pictures of the interior. The last ones I have are from when I put in the seats. Since then I've changed out the door panels, added all the instrumentation/CB radio, and installed the '90 Tilt column and wheel out of my parts burb. I tore out all the cargo area carpet last weekend, and I'm in the process of sound deadening and installing MIP cargo area flooring from LMC truck. I'll post a full set of pics when I'm done with that.

I love the No-Slip. My dad has a Lock-rite in his Ram 2500 V10, and the No-Slip in my 14 bolt seems to be a lot less intrusive. Installation took an afternoon, and it went right together the first time. The only time you notice its back there (other than doing crazy offroading things) is when you are accelerating away from a stop while making a 90 degree term. It will chirp one of the tires momentarily when you shift gears under power under those conditions. It did exactly what I wanted. I honestly only spun a tire once on Tincup Pass. I was crawling over small boulders the size of my sidewalls. I started up over a wet rock shelf, and it slid sideways about 6" before it caught and went over. Everything was really wet that day, it misted/drizzled all morning while I was up there, and the trail was pretty much solid rocks. The only towing I've done so far with it is my ~3000 lb boat and trailer, and I can tell you it sure makes it easier pulling that thing up a steep mossy boat ramp with wet tires. I can't speak for heavier loads, but towing the boat makes it seem like it isn't there at all. The headers, intake, and other mods have greatly increased the torque. I had to richen the jetting 40% for part throttle and nearly 60% under full throttle to get the AFR back where it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc383rulz View Post
nice burb, nice trip!! isnt it nice going places in a 2wd that "jeepers" wont!?
It's awesome. When I finally got to the top, there was a group of 3 kobotas and 2 wranglers just getting to the top from the other side. They were talking about how awful the east side was, and how much trouble they had getting up. I was really worried, but once I started down, I realized that the east side was a LOT better than what I'd just done. Made me feel pretty good, especially after I saw a lot of people turning around and heading back down on the easy side. If you look closely in the pictures, you can see scuff marks all the way up my sidewalls. The entire west side trail was pretty much wet boulder patches that I had to steadily crawl up through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84chevyguyid View Post
Sounds and looks like you had a great trip! I liked the pics too. I did a trip last year with my 87 6.5 turbo suburban, went from southeast Idaho to San Fransisco for a week to watch my daughter play some college softball games. 2300 miles in 7 days. My wife thought I was being silly by taking lots of pics with the burb in it but its fun to look back at them now! Not too bad of gas mileage for a big block. I got 18.5 to 19.5 driving there and back and the 5 days spent in San Fran, I averaged around 14 with the diesel. Thanks for sharing your trip!
Sounds like an awesome trip. I came down the panhandle of Idaho and across to Yellowstone last year on my way out of B.C. and Washington state. Absolutely beautiful country up on the north side.

I've often considered the diesel swap, but after having the torque/powerband of a warmed over 454, I don't think I could bring myself to do it now. I can't wait to swap a Vortec longblock and torquey roller cam into my current setup on down the road. That's pretty good mileage out of a suburban though, I'm assuming yours is 4wd? I've heard of the 2wd diesels knocking down over 20. I've been averaging 14.5mpg out of mine on flatland highway driving. I'm hoping to break over 15 when I do the Vortec heads/roller cam.

-cal30sniper
01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote