View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
TrybalRage

Re: First time swap started

Productive weekend and more parts have arrived and ordered.

6AN Fuel line and fittings return-style kit from Hot Rod Fuel Hose.

Starter bolts
Bellhousing bolts
Converter bolts

Just about finished cleaning out my wiring harness. Still probably more that I could strip out, but not sure yet how to incorporate the Factory AC controls and the PCM-controlled ones from the donor. So leaving some of those plugs in for now.

I think I'm going to leave the harness temporarily masking taped together until the motor is in the truck and I can freely route/plan/test some of this stuff. Then do the final wrap and loom.

The engine showed some signs of a slight pan leak, so replaced the oil pan gasket, pickup tube o-ring, and cooler block-off plate gasket. All Felpro stuff. Pulled the valve covers to just do a quick inspection, going to pick up new gaskets for those as well even though LS gaskets are supposedly reusable.

I spent hours yesterday trying to weld a nut onto the broken exhaust manifold bolt. Unfortunately no luck, the weld would just break every time I tried to turn the nut. It is broken down below the surface of the head by 1/16", so it's making it tougher. At this point I'm ready to give up and order one of these brackets for holding the manifold on - Dorman 917-107 anyone have experience with this fix? Seems to get good reviews from multiple sources.

I've also been re-thinking the programming. I'm blowing through my budget rather quickly and I have two more big ticket items - driveshaft and exhaust that will need to be figured out. Think I might just have the basic unlock/emissions disabled for around $100, and figure out what to do for future changes when I those actually happen. Right now I'm $400 in for Hptuners and still need a laptop to actually use it in the garage.

So making progress, although slowly. Looking at next weekend to start pulling the old motor and trans out.

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote