Thread: Building my 283
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #48
OL65GMC

Re: Building my 283

Ok guys, I'm back. Machine shop had a machine go down that delayed me a week or so then life got busy but everything slowed back down to normal so I'm back on the project. Brought everything back to the shop and did a check on the work done by the machine shop. Bores came out very uniform and consistent across all 8. Checked the bearing clearances for rods and mains wit plastiguage and was actually impressed with how well the crank and block were machined. He did excellent work. Took a die grinder to the exterior of the clock to get rid of some casting flashing then I chased all the threaded holes in the block. Spent a couple of hours cleaning the block inside and out. Next the expansion and pipe plugs were installed. Same treatment for the crank, bearings and seal installed dropped the crank in the block and torqued down the caps. I then checked ring gap and found that the top ring and the oil rings were in spec but the 2nd or middle rings were all too tight. Then yesterday, after gapping all those to spec I installed the rings on the pistons and installed bearings on the rods and caps. My Dad was around so we installed the pistons and torqued the caps. That's where I'm at as of this morning. Having a great time with this build so far, and having my old man around most the time is a bonus, My 20 year old boy has come around a bit to check things out.. He'd like to be more involved but college, work, and the skirt he's running around with keep him busy. Lol.
Attached Images

OL65GMC is offline   Reply With Quote