View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #45
Wwes

Re: 83 K10 Survivor, Part 2

Well, I've been stumped. The truck was running so good, and occasionally would just fail to start when warm. It was like it didn't have spark at all, even though I'd see it when testing the plugs. I was also getting popping when using the computer to control the timing.

I purchased a JY AC Delco distributor, installed, to no change.

Finally, one day in mid June I was messing with it, it would start, and when I'd set the timing and connect the bypass wire, it wouldn't start at all. I unhooked the battery and left it alone until today.

I set the base timing to 0, unhooked the timing bypass, and it started right up. Ran it until warm, then hooked up the timing bypass (shut down, battery disconnected 2 mins, etc). It wouldn't hardly run. I did buy an extra JY computer for a 5.7, so I set the base timing to 0, swapped computers.

It started right up, and ran even better after hooking up the timing bypass wire!

That leads me to believe it was a computer problem all along. For good measure, I fixed the engine to body ground strap. Hopefully can get an exhaust system on it, and proceed to the next phase of the project.
Attached Images

Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote