Thread: To much carb?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
Bearhawg

Re: To much carb?

This is only my experience without extensive knowledge, research or opinion. I replaced the quadrajet on my stock rebuilt 350 with an Edelbrock 1406 600cfm. It ran very rich to the point of pushing gas into the oil and soaking the plugs. Installed a low pressure fuel pump (not an Edelbrock) but very little improvement. Spent a weekend adjusting the timing and leaning it out as much as possible without changing the jets or rods. It slowed the soaking of the plugs and pushing fuel into the oil but still way too rich. Added fuel pressure gage and regulator down to 5.5 psi. Improved quite a bit but still not where I want it. Next is dropping one stage on the Edelbrock tuning grid by adjusting the rods and jets. If that doesn’t get it where I want, I’m going back to a quadrajet built by one of the well known rebuilders on the net.

As a point of reference I prefer drivability and MPG over performance. I’ve replaced the plug wires and plugs to stock. I tested the stock HEI coil and it’s good. Engine has good oil pressure and runs at normal operating temp.
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote